USS Arkansas Stats:
USS ARKANSAS was the fourth and last ship in the VIRGINIA class. The cruiser
was the fourth ship in the Navy named after the state of Arkansas and today
the ship is decommissioned with the hull being anchored at the Puget Sound
Naval Shipyard in Bremerton, WA, awaiting final disposal by recycling.
- The ship was last home ported in Bremerton, WA.
- General Characteristics: Awarded: January 31, 1975
- Keel laid: January 17, 1977
- Launched: October 21, 1978
- Commissioned: October 18, 1980
- Decommissioned: July 7, 1998
- Builder: Newport News Shipbuilding Co., Newport News, Va.
- Propulsion system: two D2G General Electric nuclear reactors
- Propellers: two
- Length: 585 feet (178 meters)
- Beam: 63 feet (19.2 meters)
- Draft: 31,5 feet (9.6 meters)
Displacement: approx. 11,300 tons full load
- Speed: 30+ knots
Aircraft: none and no helicopter landing capability
- Armament: two Mk-26 missile launcher for Standard missiles (MR) and ASROC,
two Mk-141 Harpoon
missile launchers, two armored box launchers for Tomahawk
torpedoes from two triple mounts, two 5-inch/54
caliber Mk-45 lightweight guns, two 20mm
Phalanx CIWS, four machine guns Crew: 39 Officers, 539 Enlisted
This section contains the names of sailors who served aboard USS ARKANSAS.
It is no official listing but contains the names of sailors who submitted their
here to view the list.